Thursday 11 April 2013

Coming Attractions | Arkham's Disappointing Origins

Rocksteady's Arkham games were great, weren't they?

Moody, gorgeous, elaborate and impactful. Innovative, even; you see Arkham Asylum's combat mechanics everywhere these days, and I ain't complaining. Rocksteady did justice to the Batman franchise where endless other developers had tried and failed, then doubled down on their commitment to the character with a superb sequel.

What with these guys making Batman games, Chris Nolan making Batman movies, and Scott Snyder writing the comics, the last few years have chronicled rather a renaissance for the caped crusader. By and large, I've loved it.

Alas, all good things must come to an end. The Dark Knight Rises capped off the cinematic trilogy; sequentially speaking, Scott Snyder must be closer to the end of his tenure than the beginning; and now, it looks like Rocksteady have also moved on. For the time being, at least.

Which isn't to say there won't be more Batman games. Far from it, in fact.


This October, it was recently revealed, will see the release of Batman: Arkham Origins for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. What we're looking at here is a prequel to Rocksteady's series, being made by an untested developer: Warner Bros. Montreal. 

And it gets worse. Apparently Eric Holmes—lead designer of Prototype and Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, amongst other rubbish—is the game's creative director.

I have minimal willpower when it comes to this character, so I'll probably play Arkham Origins anyway. But I don't expect it will be a patch on the games Rocksteady made.

Luckily, some good news broke alongside the reveal of this prequel. Allow me to quote from the originating Game Informer article:
Releasing on 3DS and Vita the same day as the home console version, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate is a completely separate experience that takes place after the events of Arkham Origins. Armature Studio is developing the 2.5-D Metroid-style exploration action game. Industry followers will recognize Armature Studio as the company founded by several of the leads from the Metroid Prime trilogy.
Doesn't that sound like a match made in heaven?

And guess who just bought himself a 3DS XL?

Me! :)

4 comments:

  1. hehe ;) Moster Hunter 3U ? Fire Emblem? :-D
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fire Emblem for sure! That there is one of the reasons I bought a 3DS, and I can hardly wait to lay hands on a copy. I haven't, however, caught the Monster Hunter bug yet. Not sure if I want to risk exposing myself to it either. That and the Dark Souls sequel in the same year could literally kill me.

      For the very moment, I have Crashmo to keep me happy. Which is to say break my brain. :)

      Delete
  2. I quite enjoyed Prototype for a hack and slasher. Lots of fun carnage in that game :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not wrong. My primary problem was that it seemed like a slightly diminished version of Infamous, and the two games came out in such quick succession that my appetite for open world hacking and slashing, as you say sir, was already satisfied when I finally sat down to play Prototype.

      The sequel, though, was bona fide tripe.

      Delete